Video game addiction has become a common phenomenon. Studies have shown that boys and men are more likely to be addicted to video games than girls and women. Whether you are an adult with game addiction or a parent worried about your child's game addiction, if you want to know how to stop video game addiction, then this article will give you a detailed guide.
Table of Contents
Part 1. Signs of Video Game Addiction
Video games have been around for decades, and with the development of high technology they have come in many different ways. However, the medical research on video game addiction is still shallow. There is still debate about the signs of video game addiction. The following are some of the signs and symptoms that may indicate video game addiction.
1. Spend a lot of time on video games: People who are addicted to video games will spend a lot of time playing games, and they will even give up work, study, sports and socializing, etc. in order to play games.
2. Unable to quit games: People who are addicted to video games cannot quit the games. Once they quit video games, they may have negative emotions such as anger, irritability, and absent-mindedness.
3. Loss of interest in other activities: Video game addiction can cause people to be only interested in games, they are no longer interested in their previous hobbies, they will neglect their schoolwork, work, sports and socializing, etc.
4. Disregard negative consequences: Long-term addiction to games can lead people to many negative consequences, such as poor health, decreased learning, unemployment, etc. But they will ignore these problems and continue to play video games.
Part 2. How to Stop Video Game Addiction
Based on the above, we can learn that video game addiction can have many negative effects, including physical health, school, career, relationships, etc. If you or your family is trying to stop video game addiction, here are some tips that may help.
1. Set play times: Clearly limit the amount of time you can play video games each day. It can be helpful to use an alarm clock or a family member to remind yourself.
2. Pursue other hobbies: Take up other hobbies such as the outdoors, writing, reading, and spending time with family and friends. These healthy hobbies will help you ease your video game addiction.
3. Ditch gaming gadgets: Keep video game-related gadgets out of the bedroom so you don't play late into the night.
4. Seek support: When you find that no matter what you do you can't get rid of your video game addiction, try contacting a psychotherapist, or talk to someone you trust about the addiction. They may be able to help you develop strategies.
Part 3. Other Methods to Help Children Stop Game Addiction
The methods mentioned above are more suitable for adults with self-control. For children, it is difficult for them to stop video game addiction by themselves because their self-control is obviously insufficient.
The average estimation of kids playing video games is about 20 hours within the week. According to an estimation, 72 % of children play video games, 9% of children who play games affect their academics. However, out of all the kids playing games, 4% of them play on an average of almost 50 hours a week.
If you are a parent who wants to help your child stop the game addition, we recommend the parental control apps. Parents can use the parental control apps to block games in the devices which children use. It surely helps to set time to access games and when the time crosses your child is unable to access the game. For children with low self-control, this may be the best way to get rid of video game addiction.Here are some of the best apps that can help your child to overcome game addiction.
FamiGuard is the best time limiting app which allows parents to block the usage of games. The limiting screen time helps parents to restrict time. You can set limited time or completely block usage of games, by setting the allowed time of all games to zero. It can also help pausing device usage instantly. The database of FamiGuard helps you to block apps on the basis of categories as well and you can also customize it. It can automatically categorize the apps on your children's phone. It's easy to use and very effective!
2. Net Nanny
Using Net Nanny you can monitor, limit the screen time, and filter content. The screen time management feature can be a boon for parents who want to limit screen time of their kids. It can help set a proper schedule and restrict usage of games and internet whenever you want. It is fully customizable according to user's needs and requirements and you can basically tailor your own schedules.
3. Kaspersky SafeKids
If limiting screen time is what you need, Kaspersky SafeKids is very helpful. You can limit screen time very easily thanks to a very easy to use interface. If your child is playing games all the time, you can take care of that instantly. Also, you can get advice from proper child psychologists in case you need any assistance. Using Kaspersky, you can also locate your child location, define a safe area, block content etc.
4. Kids Place
On using Kids Place, you can restrict apps, and limit the usage of apps. You can set a time limiter for a particular app or game daily so that your kid can only use it up to a certain limit. The additional features like block wireless networks, texts and calls etc are useful for parents to protect their kid from excessive usage of the phone.
ScreenTime is one of the best apps that restrict any form of over usage of cellphones. Available on both iOS and Android, this particular app can help you manage your kid's screen time easily. It comes with instant pause and scheduling feature, which can be very useful. You can also see which apps are used regularly on the device and if it is games, you can set a time limit then and there.
Part 4. How to Develop Good Habits to Help Children Get Rid of Game Addiction
The parents need to follow some specific things to develop good habits in your children. It will help to distract and to get rid of the game addiction. And all of them are discussed below:
Spend Time: The parents need to spend much time with their children to distract them from any type of game addiction. Interact with them, ask what they have done in the school, ask them about their friends, and teachers etc. Never force your child, let them share things as per their comfort.
Encourage Learning and Creativity: You can make your kid learn any of the activities like singing, painting, handcrafts, and other things. Every child has at least one creative thing within their own; parents should know their interest and encourage it. It helps your kid accustomed to the learning habit. It will increase their dedication, patience, team playing, and many others.
Outdoor Games: You have to encourage your kid to play outdoor games. Encourage your kid to play for 1 to 2 hours every day. It will help your child to get an interest in outdoor games. Once your child plays for a few days, they get diverted from any type of addiction.
Reading Books: The best habits should be habituated from an early age. You have to persuade your kid to read story books or textbooks, according to their wish. Reading as a habit will increase their vocabulary and it can be really helpful in overall development.
Game addiction is common in many of the children. Parents should take necessary action to keep their child distracted from games. In case if you see your child is distracted all the time and is always into playing mobile games, it is time for some parental control measures. We highly recommend using FamiGuard Parental control if you want to limit time and block games and curb screen and game addiction overall.
- Top 8 Phone Lock Apps to Manage Time and Boost Productivity
- How To Block TikTok App on iOS/Android/PC (In Easy Steps 2023)
- How to Block Snapchat App [Full Guide 2023]
- How to Block Instagram App - Best & Easy Guide
- How to Block Facebook App on iOS/Android/PC Devices
You may also be interested in:
By Tata Davis
professional in software and app technology, skilled in blogging on internet
Thank you for your feedback!